Dear Altec Family,
It is my sad duty to report that our good friend Mr. Bill Hayes, who worked in the Acoustic Laboratory at Altec for many, many years and has been repairing vintage Altec microphones and speakers since he retired from Altec Lansing when they moved to Oklahoma City, has had a debilitating stroke.
His son, Tim, just emailed me to let me know that Bill, who turned 91 this past Sunday, had a stroke about a week ago. I usually call Bill several times a year, especially on or near his birthday, but hadn't done so yet, so this was a complete surprise. I talked to him about a month ago for around an hour, and he was doing extremely well for his age, and was quite amazed that he has lived to be 90+. His wife passed away a couple of years or so ago, and it's been tough for Bill since then, but he has carried on.
MicroMike Labs is now closed. His son will be going through all of Bill's things (a monumental task) and will be returning all microphones and speakers belonging to customers (including myself), whether repaired or not, as quickly as possible. I suggest that people not call and inquire about their items, as that will only slow Tim down further. Once he has sent everyone their property, he will catalogue Bill's inventory and MicroMike Labs will be for sale.
If you are interested in buying Bill's inventory, send me a note and I will forward it to Bill's son.
Bill is one of the last of the old Altec family, and has been a close personal friend to me for many years. I hate to see this, as he was always so active all of his life, and I know he must be very upset with his now forced inactivity.
I will keep everyone posted as to his condition and the status of his company and it's related inventory.






Bookmarks